Marquees requiring Building Consent (over 100sqm)
Marquees over 100sqm. - Required Building Consent application documentation
For Marquees outside the scope of Schedule one exemption (larger than 100m2) a building consent is required.
The option for applying for a TA exemption is also available to some low-risk Marquee applications over 100sqm. (i.e. where there is low numbers of attendees).
Minimum information to be supplied for building consent or exemption application:
- record of title less than 6 months old
- site plan – this needs to be specific to the site and show:
- access provision for emergency services
- the location of the marquee(s) and other adjacent structures
- emergency assembly area(s)
- location of fire extinguishers
- location of any existing buildings
- dimensions to relevant boundaries
- location of toilets (including accessible toilets)
- location, type, and storage capacity of any hazardous substances on the site
- Occupancy compliance calculations
- dimensioned floor plan and elevations of marquee(s) showing
- available exits
- size of the marquee
- location of tie down points, etc.
- Fire Wardens names and contact details (must include phone number)
- The name of who will be managing the erecting/dismantling the marquee(s)
- The contact details of the person responsible for the on-site monitoring of weather conditions such as wind speed (must include phone number)
- Marquee Lessors names and contact details (must include phone number)
- Maximum wind zone identified in engineer scope and limitations
- details of egress and fire safety provisions, etc.
- details of restraints/tie downs (these can vary for wind zones/speeds)
- documentation confirming marquee surface finishes meet New Zealand Building Code Group Number requirements
- an indication of time the marquee(s) is expected to be up for
- an evacuation scheme [PDF, 697 KB] approved by Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) before the marquee is occupied for marquees with 100 people or more, and/or providing employment facilities for 10 or more people.
We would highly recommend that you check at time of booking your marquee that the person/company hiring it out can provide the above information for you to supply with your consent application.
Note: The event organiser is also responsible for obtaining any other appropriate approvals required such as service connections (i.e. water or sewer) before the event.
For further information contact: email@example.com
Phone: 0800 926 732
Fees and charges:https://www.westernbay.govt.nz/property-rates-and-building/building-consents/applying-for-a-building-consent/building-fees-and-charges