Land Information Memorandum
A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by Council in relation to matters affecting land and buildings on a particular property as at the day the LIM is produced.
Council recommends that a LIM be obtained prior to the purchase of property or a piece of land.
You may also want to look through Council's District Plan for more detailed guidance and rules about how the land can be used and developed.
How to apply for a LIM
Apply for your LIM using the online LIM service (if you don't have online access you are welcome to visit our area offices in Katikati, Te Puke, Waihi Beach or Omokoroa). Please note, payment for a LIM using the online facility is via credit card only.
Why should I get a LIM?
If you are considering purchasing property, we recommend you obtain a LIM before you buy.
A LIM is a comprehensive search of Council's records that will provide information on the land and/or any buildings known to Council erected on the property.
Please be aware no site visit is made by Council staff. We recommend if you have any concerns about the property to seek advice of a qualified independent professional.
Please refer to the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 Section 44A.
Information provided in a LIM
Rates and water rates
- Current Rating Valuation
- Annual Rates and Outstanding Rates amounts
- Water Charge
Sewer and stormwater
- If the property has district sewer available and whether it is connected
Special land features
- Including potential erosion, fill, flooding avulsion, falling debris, slippage, alluvium, or inundation.
- The status of the land in relation to the contamination of soil by hazardous substances
- Weathertight Homes information (if relevant)
- Any relevant reports or information held
- Any relevant Archaeological sites.
Building consents, licenses and requisitions
- Building Permits/Consents issued on the property
- If a Compliance Schedule has been issued for the property and when the relevant Warrant of Fitness expires.
Licences and environmental health
- Any licences relating to the sale of food or the sale and supply of liquor
Enforcements and notices
- Any notice or order affecting the land or any building on the land previously issued by Council
Planning and Resource Management
- Zoning of the property as defined by Operative and/or Proposed District Plans
- Resource Consents approved in relation to the property
- Long term Community Plans and Structure Plans
Drainage and water
- Public stormwater and wastewater pipelines
- Maps relating to the property including Aerial Photo, Land Information, District Plan and Deposited Plan.
What we don't include in a LIM
- Building plans - if any building plans exist, these can be ordered through the WBOPDC digital property file service
- Information on neighbouring properties
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council information
- Private covenants
- Computer Registers (previously called Certificate of Title) - these may be obtained through the Land Information New Zealand Land Record Order Form service
- For information in relation to State Highways please contact New Zealand Transport Agency
- WBOPDC does not hold any information concerning electricity, gas and telephone connections
Cost of an electronic LIM
Standard 10 day service - $240
Urgent 4 day service - $370
$5 Electronic LIM on a USB
$15 Hardcopy of LIM
$5 Postal/courier delivery of LIM
These fees are inclusive of G.S.T
LIMs involving Multiple Titles - price on application.
A LIM application can only be purchased via credit card online.
Processing time of a LIM
There are two LIM service options: 10 working days and 4 working days.
Please be aware the clock starts the first working day after the LIM is received.
Public holidays are not considered as working days.
Please note: as stated under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 the processing clock for a LIM stops for the period 25 December in any year to 15 January in the following year.
How will I receive my LIM?
You will receive a link to download your LIM but there are options to receive it on a USB or hard copy if required.