Discover your District
Hey tamariki – looking for a fun activity? Grab your whānau, grab your friends, get outdoors and Discover your District!
What's this all about?
- It's a series of scavenger hunts designed to get families outdoors and exploring some awesome Western Bay spaces
- There are five beautiful locations to discover – Te Puna Quarry Park, Katikati Town Centre Loop, Waihī Beach North End Loop, Te Ara Kahikatea Pathway in Te Puke, and TECT Park’s Te Rerenga Loop Trail
- Each location is unique with different levels of difficulty. Stairs and uneven terrain are noted on the activity sheets, so make sure you’re wearing appropriate footwear for the track you're doing
- It will take between 30 minutes and an hour and a half to complete each walk
We'd love to see your pics! If you're keen to share, send us a message on Facebook or Instagram or tag us @westernbaycouncil or #discoveryourdistrict. Or you can flick them through to email@example.com.
- Download your activity sheets below and print them out, or pick up a copy from your local library and service centre (Barkes Corner, Te Puke, Ōmokoroa, Katikati, Waihī Beach)
- Tamariki will need a copy of the activity sheet each, and a pen to answer the questions as you go
- You can do all the locations, or just one – it’s up to you!
- Once you’ve finished the hunt, drop your completed activity sheet in to any of our libraries or service centres, or scan and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a treat!
This is an easy, well-formed track and boardwalk and is accessible for prams, bikes and dogs on leads. It's about 3km and will take 30 minutes – 1 hour to complete.
Start the walk from outside Te Puke Squash Club on Landscape Road. Join the path on the left side of the club and continue around the loop clockwise.
This is mostly bush track with stairs and some uneven ground. Some sections may be slippery and steep in places. It's accessible for dogs on leads. The track follows the Te Rerenga Stream and includes walking through a 60m tunnel. A torch is recommended for the tunnel.
The trail is about 2.5km and will take 45 minutes – 1.5 hours to complete.
Start the walk from the main car park outside the Arrival Centre, following the yellow arrow for the Te Rerenga Tunnel Track. Follow the signs all the way round in an anticlockwise direction.
This is a well-formed track, pavement and boardwalk, with some stairs at the start. It's accessible for dogs on leads. The track heads through the Haiku Reserve and then back into town. Please be careful when crossing any roads!
The loop is about 1.5km and will take 30 minutes – 1 hour to complete.
Start the walk from outside the Arts Junction on Main Rd. Join the path to the left of the building which leads into the Haiku Reserve. Please note there are some wooden steps at the beginning of the loop. Follow the loop clockwise.
A moderate level of fitness required for this track and it is uneven and steep in places. Not suitable in wet conditions. Dogs on leads are welcome.
The trail is about 2km and will take 45 minutes – 1.5 hours to complete, although there's lots to see and do along the way so may take longer!
Start the walk from the main car park on Te Puna Quarry Road. Follow the main path in an anticlockwise loop.
This loop includes the beach and crosses a creek where your feet will get wet! Accessible for wheelchairs, bookings for a beach wheelchair can be made through Tasman Holiday Park (0800 924 448). Accessible for dogs on leads and some prams. Please be careful when crossing any roads.
It is about 2.3km and will take 40 minutes – 1.5 hours to complete.
Start at the Surf Club, 2 Beach Road. Head onto the beach and head north to start the loop. Follow the loop anticlockwise.