Growing pains? We’ve got a plan for that
From Waihī Beach to Ōtamarākau , and everywhere in between, we’re one of the fastest growing areas of Aotearoa New Zealand. We’ve experienced a sustained period of growth due to our sought-after lifestyle, natural environment, and economic opportunities.
But, we know that things are hard at the moment and we are not always experiencing the best of the Bay of Plenty lifestyle. There are frustrations. Being stuck in traffic, and the uncertainty of housing – whether being able to find a suitable rental, or afford to buy or build a home for your whānau.
The SmartGrowth Strategy is our plan to manage growth in the western Bay of Plenty sub-region. It considers how housing, land, infrastructure, transport, community development, tāngata whenua aspirations, and the natural environment need to be looked at together to achieve effective long-term growth.
SmartGrowth is a collaboration between Bay of Plenty Regional, Tauranga City and Western Bay of Plenty District councils, tāngata whenua and central government. It is committed to the idea that we can’t go on as we have been, we need to do things differently so that as we continue to grow, we’re ready to manage that.
We want you to feel confident that we have a plan in place to manage growth, so we can all be proud of where we live.
We would love you to give feedback on the draft SmartGrowth strategy and tell us what you think. Share your thoughts with us via the following options before 5pm Friday 20 October:
- Online, wānanga ipurangi - head to the web page to check out the draft strategy – www.smartgrowthbop.org.nz/smartgrowth-strategy-2023
- Face to face, kanohi ki te kanohi – speak to your feedback with the political panel
- Date: 4-6 December
- Venue: Council chambers, Western Bay of Plenty District Council
- Email email@example.com to register your interest
- Hard copy, pepa mārō – printed feedback forms are available at all council library and service centres.