A home worm composting farm is a great way for you to deal with most of your kitchen scraps and create rich compost for your garden.
Why worm composting is important
Surveys by Council found 48 percent of the Western Bay District's rubbish, both in the rural and urban areas, is actually organic waste that can be diverted away from landfill.
This is where the worm farming comes into play.
Benefits of your worm farm:
- Quick and easy to get rid of your kitchen scraps
- Lightens your rubbish bag - saves money!
- Creates a free, natural fertiliser
- Stops methane gas production by removing your food waste from the landfill
- Minimal in size, perfect for all sized gardens
Worm composting workshops
Come along to our hands-on, two-hour interactive workshop and learn the art of worm farming!
Note that this is an educational workshop only - Council does not sell worm farms.
- Te Puke – Saturday, 27 February 2021 - Te Puke War Memorial Hall – 1pm to 3pm.
- Waihi Beach – Saturday, 15 May 2021 - Waihi Beach Community Centre – 1pm to 3pm.
- Omokoroa – Saturday, 28 August 2021 - Omokoroa Settlers Hall – 1pm to 3pm.
- Katikati – Saturday, 6 November 2021 - Katikati War Memorial Hall– 1pm to 3pm.
Tickets will be available on Eventfinda closer to the time of the workshop. In the meantime, R.S.V.P on one of our Facebook events and once the tickets are live, you will be notified via the event page.
At the end of the workshop you'll receive your very own Vermihut worm farm bin, tiger worms plus lime and compost (valued over $180), so you can get started straight away.
This workshop is perfect for worm farm beginners with little or no experience, or for those who would like a refresher. If you do not require a worm farm, but you would still like to learn about worm farming, you are welcome to attend the workshop at no cost, however, you'll still need to register.
Help us to minimise waste going to landfill - register now!
Please note, these workshops are subsidised by Council with a small fee charged. It is open to Western Bay of Plenty District Council residents only. Just one worm farm per household can be issued, but for each paid registration, two people may attend. Our worm farm kits are specially ordered for each workshop based on attendee numbers, therefore we are unable to provide a refund for non-attendance.