Community Recycling and Greenwaste Centres
Open days and hours:
Athenree: 64 Steele Road, Athenree
- Thursday - (Closed)
- Saturday - 9am to 12noon
- Sunday - 9am to 4pm
Katikati: Corner Tetley/Wills Road
- Thursday - 9am to 4pm
- Saturday - 1pm to 4pm
- Sunday - (Closed)
Ōmokoroa Greenwaste (greenwaste only): 336 Ōmokoroa Road
- Wednesday - 2pm to 4pm
- Saturday - 2pm to 4pm
Te Puke: 36 Station Road, Te Puke
- Tuesday - 8am to 5pm
- Thursday - 8am to 5pm
- Saturday - 8am to 4pm
Our recycling centre rules:
These rules have been put in place to keep you and our staff safe:
- Wear closed shoes - broken glass cuts toes, heels and soles
- No smoking or e-cigarettes
- Don't bring rubbish for recycling
- Do look out for the fork hoist operating
- Leave your pets at home - no pets allowed onsite anymore
- Gently drop bottles in bins - glass shards fly and hurt people
- Keep young children under 13 years in vehicle for their own safety
- Only Eftpos transactions accepted for greenwaste
You can take the following clean and empty recyclables to our centres free of charge. Please remove lids and rinse containers.
- Flattened corrugated cardboard
- Paper including light card, magazines, newspapers and egg cartons
- Steel and aerosol cans
- Aluminium cans
- Colour-sorted glass bottles and jars only - no broken windows, drinking glasses or ceramics
- Clear plastic drink bottles (up to 4 litres)
- Anchor lightproof and Meadow Fresh milk and cream bottles
- Clear milk and cream bottles
- Fluorescent light tubes and bulbs
- Batteries - all kinds e.g. vehicle and dry cell
- Used motor oil
- Identifiable hazardous waste (up to 30 litres or 30 kg). Please note: Conditions apply. These can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Greenwaste (fees apply - see below). Greenwaste stem diameter must be no thicker than 100mm and the length no longer than three metres. Please note: Eftpos payments only.
- Yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, ice cream containers
- Meat trays, plastic punnets, cake trays etc. (# 1, 2 & 5)
Items NOT accepted
- Scrap metal including whiteware – take to a metal recycler
- Coloured plastics (green, dark blue and brown)
- Janitorial plastics (shampoo, bleach etc)
- Tetra packs (e.g. soy milk, juice boxes)
- Window glass, mirror glass
- Cookware, Pyrex and drinking glasses
- Medical waste
- Building waste
- Electronic and electric items
- Household rubbish and nappies
- Compostable packaging in greenwaste
- Cooking oil and plastic drums
- All centres accept greenwaste (including garden bark), however they do not accept flax, pampas, bamboo, gorse or palms. (These are treated as normal refuse and not accepted at the recycling centres).
- All pest plants (take to a transfer station or put in refuse bin)
Greenwaste fees (Eftpos Only)
Bagged up to 50 litres (minimum charge)
Bagged from 51 to 250 litres
Bagged from 251 to 500 litres
Loose greenwaste* charged per m3
|* Loose greenwaste charge is determined by operator measuring the load.|
Please see diagram attached Important information about your greenwaste.
Hazardous waste - domestic quantities (up to 30kg or litres)
Small quantities of household hazardous waste will be accepted the Katikati, Athenree and Te Puke centres. All waste must be accompanied by a completed household hazardous waste declaration form.
- Only lead based paint will be accepted. Other paint can be recycled at Resene Paintwise Scheme website.
- Never bury hazardous material as it may contaminate ground water
- Never put hazardous wastes in a river, sewer, stormwater drain into the ground
- Please don't burn plastics, rubber, aerosol containers or treated timber as this can produce toxins that can contaminate the environment.
- See here for information on how to dispose of empty agricultural chemical containers.
- To dispose of any electronic waste (e-waste) please see a list of current collectors here .
- See here for Hazardous Waste Information
If you see a hazardous substance spill or are responsible for a spill, please phone the Bay of Plenty Regional Council's Pollution Hotline on 0800 738 393. Some helpful links: