Pay Your Rates
Payments now processed seven days a week
From Friday 26 May 2023, banks will be processing payments 365 days a year - including weekends and public holidays.
Any payments made to Council will be deducted from your account on the day you make the payment, rather than the next business day. So for example, if you pay an invoice on a Saturday, it will come through to us on the day instead of on the following Monday.
If you have a direct debit or automatic payment set up for Council payments, please be aware of this change as you’ll need to ensure you have sufficient funds in your account.
When are rates due?
The first instalment of your rates invoice for the year 2023-24 were sent out in September 2023.
Penalty and instalment dates have now been set for the 2023-24 rating year, for more information see the in's and out's of the rates discount and penalty process .
Property rate payments can be made online using:
- Credit Cards (which attracts a 1.22% fee)
- Debit Card
- Real Time Debit (Westpac and BNZ)
Please click on the link below.
It's important to note that our bank charges a convenience fee of 1.22% per transaction for this service.
To make things easier, please have your rates invoice number handy. You will need your valuation number that is shown on the invoice, and be certain to enter your email address correctly.
Payments made after 10.30pm New Zealand time will appear on your Council rate account the following business day, so please allow plenty of time for processing your payment. If you leave things too late then your payment could be processed after the due date which may result in a late payment penalty.
Once the transaction is completed you will be given a reference number and a confirmation notification will be sent to your email for your records. Please note a receipt will not be provided.
If you have any enquiries, including refunds, please email our rates team or give them a call on 0800 926 732.
Please note we're not in a position to accept credit card payment by phone.
The amount required to meet your property's rates is deducted from your bank account weekly, fortnightly, monthly, six monthly by instalment, or once a year.
- Weekly - The amount is taken each Wednesday. Calculated to clear by the end of the rating year (30 June).
- Fortnightly - The amount is taken every 2nd Wednesday. Calculated to clear by the end of the rating year (30 June).
- Monthly - The amount is taken on the 20th of each month. Calculated to clear by the end of the rating year (30 June).
- Six monthly by instalment - Each instalment amount taken on the due dates as per your instalment notice (usually September and March).
- Annually - The total amount taken in one lump sum at the first instalment date usually September. This entitles you to receive a 3% discount.
If you have a direct debit period payment set up (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) there will be no penalty charged at the due dates.
Note: Make sure you read the terms and conditions and complete the form correctly ensuring the bank account number is correct - signing both pages. If you are unable to complete the form online you can take your completed direct debit form to any one of five offices - Barkes Corner, Waihi Beach, Katikati, Omokoroa or Te Puke.
Select here to change your bank account number
This form is for the change of bank account for current/active Western Bay of Plenty District Council direct debits only. If you do not have active direct debit/s, you will need to request a NEW direct debit to be setup.
If you wish to change your bank account number for any direct debits you have with the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, you will need to contact the Bay of Plenty Regional Council Direct Debits.
Payment can be made in-person by paying by cash, EFTPOS or credit card at Council's customer services counter at our Barkes Corner head office or our libraries and service centres at Katikati, Ōmokoroa, Te Puke or Waihī Beach. It's important to note that our bank charges a convenience fee of 1.22% per transaction for credit card transactions.
With automatic payments, you pay a fixed sum (of your choice) at regular intervals - with the total amount paid by the penalty date.
You can print this automatic payments form (PDF, 36KB) or request one from our customer services team on 0800 926 732
Note: Please make sure you set your automatic payment to go out before the penalty date. Please also consider the following:
- A penalty will be applied to your rates account if you do not pay enough to clear the outstanding balance before the penalty date.
- When calculating how much you will pay each time, make sure the total amount of the first instalment is paid by 10 October 2023, this is the last date to pay the first instalment before incurring a penalty. The total of the second instalment must be paid by 26 March 2024 to avoid incurring a penalty.
- A penalty of 10% will be applied to any amounts outstanding after the last date to pay each instalment.
- If you choose to make monthly automatic payments, please consider making the payments on the 20th of each month, or earlier, because this gives us time to process the payments in good time, especially during the months when penalties are applied.
- You may need to increase the amount you pay each rating year.
Phone 0800 926 732, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, anytime for a balance.
Transfer your rates payment using internet/telephone banking direct from your bank account to Council. If you arrange internet or telephone banking yourself through your bank please remember to enter the following so we can process your payment to the correct rates account:
1st reference field: Surname of first owner
2nd reference field: Valuation number
3rd reference field: the word "Rates".
Council's bank details are: ANZ, Tauranga, 01 0434 0180600 00. Swift Code ANZBNZ22