Pay your rates
When are rates due?
The first instalment of your rates invoice for the year 2019/2020 will be sent at the beginning of September 2019.
- Full payments that are received before 27 September 2019 received a 3% discount.
- The penalty date for the FIRST instalment is due 25 October 2019.
- The penalty date for the SECOND instalment is due 20 March 2020.
Learn more about penalty dates, discounts and the rating calendar here.
For a quick and simple way to pay your property rates using your credit card (Visa or Mastercard) please click on the link below.
It's important to note that our bank charges a convenience fee of 1.22% per transaction for this service.
To make things easier, please have your rates invoice number handy. You will need your valuation number that is shown on the invoice, and be certain to enter your email address correctly.
Payments made after 10.30pm New Zealand time will appear on your Council rate account the following business day, so please allow plenty of time for processing your payment. If you leave things too late then your payment could be processed after the due date which may result in a late payment penalty.
Once the transaction is completed you will be given a reference number and a confirmation notification will be sent to your email for your records. Please note a receipt will not be provided.
If you have any enquiries, including refunds, please email our rates team or give them a call on 07 571 8008.
Please note we're not in a position to accept credit card payment by phone.
The amount required to meet your property's rates is deducted from your bank account monthly, six monthly, or once a year.
- Annually - The total amount taken in one lump sum every September and receive a 3% discount.
- By instalment, twice a year - Each instalment amount taken in October and March.
- Monthly - The amount is taken on the 20th of each month. Calculated to clear by the due date. The best time to start is directly after an instalment due date.
Note: Make sure you read the terms and conditions and complete the form correctly - signing both pages. You can post your completed direct debit form to our Rates Team at Barkes Corner, Private Bag 12803, Tauranga Mail Centre, Tauranga 3143. Do not email or fax your form as we will be unable to forward it to your bank.
You can post your payment to us using the reusable envelope provided with your invoice. Please tear off the remittance slip at the bottom of your rates assessment, and return it with your cheque to: Western Bay of Plenty District Council The Rates Team Private Bag 12803 Tauranga Mail Centre Tauranga, 3143 Please do not send cash in the post.
Payment can be made in-person by paying by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card at Council's customer services counter at our Barkes Corner head office or at any of Council's libraries and service centres at Katikati, Omokoroa, Te Puke or Waihi Beach. It's important to note that our bank charges a convenience fee of 1.22% per transaction for credit card transactions.
With automatic payments, you pay a fixed sum (of your choice) at regular intervals - with the total amount paid by the penalty date.
You can print this automatic payments form (PDF, 36KB) or request one from our Customer Services team on 07 571 8008.
Note: Please make sure you set your automatic payment to go out before the penalty date. Please also consider the following:
- A penalty will be applied to your rates account if you do not pay enough to clear the outstanding balance before the penalty date.
- When calculating how much you will pay each time, make sure the total amount of the first instalment is paid by 27 October 2017, this is the last date to pay the first instalment before incurring a penalty. The total of the second instalment must be paid by 23 March 2018 to avoid incurring a penalty.
- A penalty of 10% will be applied to any amounts outstanding after the last date to pay each instalment.
- If you choose to make monthly automatic payments, please consider making the payments on the 20th of each month, or earlier, because this gives us time to process the payments in good time, especially during the months when penalties are applied.
- You may need to increase the amount you pay each rating year.
Phone 07 571 8008, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, anytime for a balance.
Transfer your rates payment using internet/telephone banking direct from your bank account to Council. If you arrange internet or telephone banking yourself through your bank please remember to enter the following so we can process your payment to the correct rates account:
1st reference field: Surname of first owner
2nd reference field: Valuation number
3rd reference field: the word "Rates".
Council's bank details are: ANZ, Tauranga, 01 0434 0180600 00. Swift Code ANZBNZ22