Pre-application Service - Package of Plans
Where your project is particularly complex or large, often you would engage a professional to assist and you should expect that professional to know all of the issues, however it is still beneficial to engage with Council early in the process, even when professionals are employed.
There are occasions where a project may appear simple but runs into complex issues as it progresses. A good example would be where a project will need to comply with multiple pieces of legislation. Building or converting a commercial premises to provide for mixed residential and commercial use - further complicated if a commercial use considered might be the sale of liquor, or as a food premises. Wouldn't it be better to know all of the regulatory issues before an investment decision is made rather than after?
We suggest that a meeting with Council and your agent(s) would be beneficial. These meetings provide a greater opportunity to meet with the relevant Council staff across a number of disciplines such as utility and transportation engineers, reserve management staff, urban design specialists, building control officials, and the consents and policy planning staff.
This is Council's package of plans' approach. We've targeted this approach at the development community with successful results.
We think it's important that we provide this option to a broader customer group who may only interact with Council once or twice - our aim being to ensure a smooth and successful outcome that is understood by customers from the outset.
Many other councils hold pre-application meetings', but often at the point where proposals are well advanced and the focus is more about ensuring adequate scoping of environmental assessment effects.
Our package of plans model allows customers to engage early with staff to discuss possible subdivisions or potential land-use development, which initially may be no more than a hand drawn sketch.
The benefits of this approach:
- This process of meeting(s) is at no cost to the applicant
- Council staff involved with the consent application become fully informed about the proposed development
- There should be no surprises for the applicant or Council who should be able to process any applications in a shorter time
- Any concerns regarding the proposed development are discussed and resolved prior to lodgement of the particular applications
- The customer and/or their agent' can finalise the development concept and consent application with more confidence, knowing where they stand with Council regarding the proposed development
- Consent applications can be finalised with lists of conditions understood by the applicant.