Applying for a Building Consent Step by Step
Before you begin
- Know where the property is - If your property subdivision is not fully complete, you must lodge your consent under the parent parcel (original Lot) and provide details of the pending Lot and DP numbers
- Know the owner and have proof of ownership - The owner is listed on the Certificate of Title (Certificate is to be no more than 3 months old); or on the rates valuation; or an unconditional sale and purchase agreement.
- Plans - Indicate the scale and the sheet size on each plan
- Specifications must be merged into one document in PDF format
- Supporting documents must be merged into two documents in PDF format
- Ensure documents have OCR (Optical Character Recognition) and bookmarking.
- Council's system does not accept PDF portfolios.
If your building project is for a complex addition, architecturally designed dwelling or commercial we recommend having a pre-lodgement meeting with the Councils officers. At the meeting we can confirm the adequacy of the information being prepared for the application and/or highlight any areas where additional information will be required.
A pre-lodgement meeting can include officers from various Council teams including the building team, resource consents, development engineering or health depending on the nature of the proposed project
To book a pre-lodgement meeting, email BuildingCounterEnquiry@westernbay.govt.nz and include a simple description of the scope of works to be carried out, and a contact phone number.
Registering as a new user
Go to the Apply Online, click on New Users / Register and complete the details. You will receive a confirmation email, click on the link provided, log in and you are good to go!
Prepare your application
- An agent or owner can lodge the application
- The application can be shared with other interested parties
- The applicant is responsible for identifying which clauses of the building code the project complies with
Manage required documents
- Upload files to the correct folder (e.g. Certificate of Title [no more than 3 months old] into the Certificate of Title folder)
- Plans and specifications must be PDF and uploaded as one document each
- Supporting documents must be PDF, Doc or DOCX and you may upload two separate documents
- Supporting documents are to include:
- Bracing calculations
- H1 calculations
- Truss design
- Lintel/beam design
- Geotechnical report (if required).
- Ensure these have OCR and bookmarking
- A copy of the building consent and approved plans must be held on site at all times. This is the applicant's responsibility
- Please clearly indicate the scale and the sheet size on each plan.
Submit your application
You can submit, manage and track applications for your building consent from anywhere, at any time though The Build Online Application Portal.
If your application is refused
If your application is found to be incomplete, you will receive an email informing you of this and the reasons for refusal. If this is the case, you will need to submit a new application. You can either:
- Duplicate the application and update as required. To duplicate click on the button on the right of the application; or complete a new application.
Restricted building work and Licensed Building Practitioners
For information on this topic, see our website here.