Rural Fire


​​​​Note: The Restricted Fire Season begins 1 October until further notified. This means you need a fire permit to burn any open air fires in the region. Click here to view the public notice. 

Who manages rural fire?

Rural fire within the Western Bay of Plenty is managed by Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ)​.

This provides services for Western Bay of Plenty District Council, rural areas of Tauranga City Council, Department o​​f Conservation, and Department of Internal Affairs (in respect of Mayor and Motiti islands).

Services include fire planning, permit issue, rural fire management and control, and a variety of legislative requirements established by the Fire and Emergency New Zealand Act 2017.

Lighting a Fire?

For further information and to apply for a permit, please complete the online application at the link below.​​ 

​Please be aware - when selecting a District from the dropdown menu "Pumicelands" refers to Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty. 

You can call 0800 658 628 or email if you have further questions.

Tauranga City Rural Residents may also apply by this method.

Permit applications will be passed to the Fire Authority for action. You should allow a minimum of three working days for processing and issue. If a Rural Fire Officer is required to inspect the proposed burn site, you will have to allow additional time.

What conditions are imposed

  • Your fire permit contains a range of conditions which will assist you in conducting a safe burn. The main conditions imposed by the Rural Fire Authority are:

  • No fire shall be left unattended while burning.

  • No fire shall be lit or left burning between the hours of sunset and sunrise unless specific approval to do so has been given. Such approval may be dependant on prior inspection by a Rural Fire Officer Standing scrub is not to be lit unless the site has been inspected by a Rural Fire Officer and specific approval given.

  • No fire shall be lit within 5 metres of any part of a building, tree, hedge, fence, or other combustible material.

  • No fire shall be larger than 5 x 5 metres without specific approval from the Principal Rural Fire Officer.

  • Water and/or tools must be available on site to contain the fire. If you are burning household rubbish or other material in the back yard, the minimum requirement is a garden hose connected to the water supply.

  • You must not burn green vegetation, tyres, plastics, foam products, waste oil etc. These create smoke and odour nuisances.

Statutory conditions apply to fires in the open air, and these are also shown on the permit.

Under certain circumstances, you may be required to advise the Rural Fire Authority before actually lighting the fire. This allows notification to be made to the Fire Service ‘111’ system, and reduces the number of un-necessary call-outs of Fire Service and Rural Fire Authority resources.

Any such requirement will be printed on the fire permit at the time of issue. This condition is generally imposed when a proposed fire will be clearly visible to the public and/or is likely to cause alarm due to its location.

Dependant on your proximity to commercial forest lands, you may also be required to notify a neighbouring Rural Fire Authority before lighting the fire. That requirement will be printed on the fire permit at the time of issue, and a copy of the permit forwarded to the applicable neighbouring Rural Fire Authority.

If you are unsure as to how these conditions apply, you can contact FENZ on 0800 658 628 or email General advice on conducting a safe burn can be obtained the same way.

Holding a valid fire permit does not in any way diminish your responsibility to manage your fire safely and properly. If you light it, you are responsible for it, and for any consequences which may arise from it.

Are there any costs involved in getting a Fire Permit?

There is no charge for the issue of a fire permit, for a pre-burn inspection by a Rural Fire Officer, or the provision of advice on safe burning practices.

How are fire seasons set and notified?

The Fire Authority operates three 'Fire Seasons':

  • Open - no permits are required for open-air fires.

  • Restricted - fires are allowed, provided they meet certain criteria. A fire permit is required for all open air fires, with the except of gas-powered barbecues.

  • Prohibited - a total ban applies to all open air fires. An exemption may be made and a 'Special Permit' issues for emergency purposes.

A "restricted fire season" is imposed on 1 October and remains in force until 30 April in the following year. A permit to burn is required during this period.

A "prohibited fire season" may be imposed at any time, dependent on prevailing weather conditions and degree of fire risk.

Fire season status is notified by public notice in local newspapers. Total fire bans are notified by all available means, including roadside signs.

Reporting a fire in the rural area?​

As with any other fire, you should dial ‘111’ and ask the operator for ‘Fire Service’. Give all the detail you can, including street or road number, and the best means of access. The nearest available fire appliance will be despatched, and the Rural Fire Authority will be notified of the fire.​

Page reviewed: 02 Oct 2018 9:56am