District Plan and Resource Consents

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​District Plan

The District Plan is a legal document prepared in accordance with the Resource Management Act 1991. It provides zonings to all of the District’s land e.g. residential, rural, lifestyle, commercial and industrial to ensure that enough of each is available and is used for its intended purpose. It also identifies features such as ecological, landscapes, heritage and natural hazards that require special consideration. Within each zone and feature, the District Plan sets out what land use and subdivision activities are permitted or require resource consent. it also sets out what the requirements are for each so that adverse effects on people and/or the environment can be managed. 

On this page, you’ll find a copy of the current District Plan/Maps as well as information on current or previous changes to the District Plan. 

Operative District Plan 2012 (current)​

District Plan Changes

Archived District Plans

​District Plan Maps​

Resource Consents

Resource consents are required for activities that don’t comply with the District Plan. The resource consent process is to assess the effects of such activities on people and/or the environment. Council can either grant a consent with conditions or decline a consent in order to manage or avoid adverse effects. 

On this page, you’ll find out what activities commonly need a resource consent and how you can apply for a consent (including what information you need to provide and who can help you).

There’s also information about current resource consent applications and how you can find out about or raise issues with any other developments that may be occurring around you.

Compliance and Monitoring​

Page reviewed: 21 Nov 2018 12:01pm