Reserve/Park Bookings for Events


​​​​​Reserve / Park Bookings For Events including Weddings

If you'd like to book or require permission to use Council land i.e. reserve, park, road, street or footpath for an event or wedding, please complete an Event application form (PDF, 510KB).  Only complete the sections of the form which are relevant to the type and size of your event. See details below of event impact categories and notice periods required by Council to process an application.

Please note: This is a new process and more information and documentation will be required as part of your application. For assistance with completing your application form, please email the Reserves Team or contact the Property and Services Officers or Customer Service Team on 07 571 8008.

Your event will only be approved to proceed once all information has been received within the specified timeframe. Council reserves the right to decline an application if insufficient notice or information is provided.

Event impact categories and notice required by Council

Please note; this is a generic list and may not cover all event types.  Some events maybe considered on a case by case basis.

Event Impact

​Event Parameters

Notice period required by Council

Impact event

​Events with;

  • No road closures or disruption to public transport

  • Low number of registered food vendors
    (less than 5)

  • Minimal basic infrastructure e.g. ezi-ups, portable toilets, small stage

Examples include community days, fundraising events or park-based fun runs/walks.

Minimum 4 weeks

​Medium impact event

​Events with;

  • Minor road closures and potential disruption to public transport

  • Multiple food vendors (more than 5) and /or liquor licensed areas

  • Resource consent (Certificate of Compliance) required

  • Amusement devices (e.g. bouncy castle). Multiple items of infrastructure and/or an infrastructure build requiring building consent e.g. marquees etc.

Examples include triathlons, large scale sporting events, music events with stages.

Minimum 3 months

​High impact event

​Events with;

  • Significant number of people expected to attend

  • Road closures, disruption to public transport and high impact to traffic expected

  • Multiple food vendors and / or liquor licensed areas

  • Significant infrastructure builds

  • Multiple event sites and or days

  • Resource consent (Certificate of Compliance) required

  • Building consent maybe required

  • Pyrotechnics (Fireworks)

Examples include major sporting events, commercial fairs or music events.

Minimum 10 months

Resource Consent for events

Whether your event is on Council land or private property, event organisers are required to check with Council whether their event requires a resource consent or not.  All events will be reviewed by a Duty Planner to ensure it meets the rules under Council's District Plan - Temporary Activities - Rule 4A.2.4    

To speak to a Duty Planner phone (07) 571 8008 or email a Duty Planner.  If a resource consent is required, then the Duty Planner will provide you with an application form and guide you through the process.  Please note; your application may take up to 20 business days to process so please contact the Duty Planner as early as possible.

Alcohol at an event

If you wish to have alcohol at your event, please complete an Application for Alcohol Dispensation for an Event/Wedding on Council Reserve (PDF, 165KB)  and include with the above event application.  For more information contact the Reserves Team on 07 571 8008.

Please note: An alcohol ban may be in place. To check, see the Alcohol Control Bylaw on our w​ebsite - maps are at the back of the PDF.  To apply for a liquor license for your event, see our website.

Rubbish / Waste Management

To help you look after the reserve/park and keep it tidy, please check out our Events Waste Reduction booklet. (PDF, 2.1MB)

Public Liability

Council will require public liability insurance for all medium to high risk events, for a minimum of $1,000,000 cover for the duration of the event - pack in / pack out included.  The event organiser must provide Council with proof of such public liabitlity insurance, including details of the insurer, any relevant exclusions and the amount of cover, at least 20 business days prior to the event.

Amusement Devices

Amusement devices such as merry-go-rounds and ferris wheels require a permit to operate in our district. Applications for permits must be received 10 business days prior to your event. Amusement devices cannot be operated before a permit is issued. See our website on Amusement Devices. 

Registration of amusement devices by the owner / operator are issued by WorkSafe Ne​w Zealand.​

Fees and Charges

Additional fees/charges may be required as part of your event booking application.  For more information, contact the Reserves Team on 07 571 8008.


A bond maybe required to ensure any potential damage or excessive wear and tear can be corrected. Bonds are to be paid prior to confirmation of the booking and will range in cost from $150 up to $2,000. Bonds are returned if premise is left clean, tidy and in good condition. For further information or enquiries regarding the bond amounts, please contact the Reserves Team on 07 571 8008.

General use of a reserve/park

If you're planning to use a reserve or park for a picnic, BBQ, small gathering or birthday party (less than 100 people) etc then see our Reserve-Park User Guidelines to ensure you have a safe, successful and enjoyable day.


Page reviewed: 14 Feb 2019 9:49am