Prepare for tonight’s high tide
of Plenty Civil Defence is advising people in low-lying coastal areas to
prepare for high winds and another king tide tonight at 11pm.
PLEASE NOTE - Council's Waihi Beach area office will be closed until 3pm due to a power outage.
For the Most up to date information visit:
BOP Civil Defence - https://www.facebook.com/BOPCivilDefence/
For info re power outages visit PowerCo - http://www.powerco.co.nz/Power-Cuts/
NZTA - highway travel event map - http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regions/4
Potential hazards include:
PEOPLE ARE ADVISED TO:
- Clear your gutters and stormwater grates of any debris
- Secure outdoor furniture
- Have an evacuation plan in place – including for pets – and a supply of fresh food, water and clothes
- Stay away from beaches and streams as significant coastal swells are expected
- Avoid areas, both below and above, where there have been recent slips as the ground may still be unstable
- Avoid travelling when possible. If driving, watch your speed and following distances.
Western Bay Council and Civil Defence will be monitoring the situation and will keep the community informed.