Christmas events extravaganza for Western Bay
Festive fever will heat-up the Western Bay this December, with eight Christmas events leading up to the big day.
Whether you love carols, Santa parades, concerts or markets, there’s something for everyone to say happy holly-days.
Western Bay of Plenty District Council’s Events Specialist, Rebecca Chambers, says this holiday season is going to be a cracker.
“We’re delighted to support a range of events across the District and to see community groups out in force. Events are so important as they help bring our whānau and communities together to share experiences and make memories,” she says.
Saturday 2 December will be a huge day across the District, with five fabulous festive events to say Mere Kirihimete.
In Katikati locals can enjoy two gifts in one from 3pm-6pm, with the Lion’s Santa Parade followed by Katch Katikati’s Christmas in the Park. Head along to Moore Park for food and market stalls, kids’ entertainment and live music for the whole whānau.
To make sure the reindeer can make their entrance, the Santa Parade will see a few of Katikati’s roads closed to traffic from 3pm-4pm, including Beach Road, Carisbrook Street and Middlebrook Drive.
And if you’re in town, be sure to check out the Christmas shop front window competition, sponsored by the Katikati Community Board. There are also some great festive activities happening at the Arts Junction.
In Te Puke the hugely popular Seeka Christmas Float Parade will run from 11am-12noon, with more than 20 floats cruising through town. To help Santa make his arrival, Jellicoe Street will be closed to traffic from 9am-1pm, between the corner of Cameron Road and the Oxford Street roundabout on both sides of the road.
The parade will be followed by Christmas in Te Puke, a free community event in Jubilee Park from 12noon – 3pm, where there’ll be music, markets, kai, games, a petting zoo and a bouncy castle for the kids.
Across the bay in Waihī Beach you can enjoy the renowned Anzac Bay/Waipapopao Summer Kick off Festival. Held from 2pm-6pm at Anzac Bay in Bowentown, this annual event will feature live music by Harmonix Resonators, Stylus Matty and the Bux Tones, plus food trucks, kids workshops and storytelling by Otawhiwhi marae.
Once you’ve recovered from the excitement of 2 December there’s still plenty more Christmas cheer to be had.
Ōmokoroa locals can enjoy the inaugural Christmas Carols in the Park on Saturday 9 December from 5pm-8pm at the Ōmokoroa Sports Ground, Western Avenue. There’ll be food trucks, or you can bring your own picnic and enjoy the entertainment and giveaways.
For last minute Christmas shopping head along to the renowned Waihī Beach Christmas market on Saturday 16 December from 8am-12noon at Waihī Beach School. There’ll be pony rides, kids’ activities, a farmers’ market, live music, kai and a special visit from Santa.
Finally, on Sunday 17 December you can complete your festive fix in Katikati with a Christmas concert from 3pm-4pm on the stage at Haiku Park.
Western Bay Christmas events:
- Katikati– Lion’s Santa Parade and Katch Katikati’s Christmas in the Park (Moore Park) - Saturday 2 December, 3pm-6pm (parade from 3pm-3:30pm). Roads closed to traffic from 3pm-4pm: Beach Road, Carisbrook Street and Middlebrook Drive.
- Katikati – Christmas Concert in the Park – Sunday 17 December, 3pm-4pm, Haiku Park, 60 Main Street.
- Te Puke – Seeka Te Puke Christmas Float Parade - Saturday 2 December, 11am-12noon. Road closed to traffic from 9am-1pm: Jellicoe Street between the corner of Cameron Road and the Oxford Street roundabout on both sides of the road.
- Te Puke – Christmas in Te Puke – Saturday 2 December, 12noon-3pm, Jubilee Park, Commerce Lane.
- Waihī Beach – Anzac Bay/Waipapopao Summer Kick off Festival, Saturday 2 December, 2pm-6pm, Anzac Bay, Bowentown Domain, 510 Seaforth Rd, Waihī Beach.
- Waihī Beach – Waihī Beach Christmas at the Market – Saturday 16 December, 8am-12pm, Waihī Beach School, 100 Beach Road.
- Ōmokoroa– Ōmokoroa Christmas Carols in the Park - Saturday 9 December, 5pm-8pm, Ōmokoroa Sports Pavilion, Western Avenue
To find out more about all these events go to: www.westernbay.govt.nz/community/events/event-calendar
If you’ve got a Christmas event let us know by emailing email@example.com or list it on our free online events calendar here: www.westernbay.govt.nz/community/events/event-calendar