Information for voters
Why you should vote in the local elections?
Local government shapes where you live.
It’s the footpaths you walk on, the roads you drive on, the water your drink, and the parks, libraries and swimming pools you enjoy. It’s also about culture, community events, economic development and much more.
Which is why one of the most important ways you can take part in the decisions that shape the Western Bay of Plenty District is to get involved in the Local Body Elections.
How do I enroll?
To vote in the local elections, you must be enrolled to vote. In New Zealand, enrolment for all elections is managed by the Electoral Commission.
If you voted in previous local or parliamentary elections, you should still be enrolled. If you have moved recently, you may need to update your details.
To find out if you are enrolled, or to find out how to enrol, visit the Electoral Commission website.
How do I vote?
If you are enrolled to vote, you will receive a voting paper in the mail by Wednesday 25 September 2019.
Once you have filled in your voting paper, put it in the pre-paid envelope provided and post it back. You can also put your envelope in the ballot box at any Western Bay of Plenty District Library.
- Katikati Library & Service Centre, The Centre – Pātuki Manawa, 21 Main Road, Katikati;
- Omokoroa Library & Service Centre, McDonnell Street, Omokoroa;
- Te Puke Library & Information Service Centre, 130 Jellicoe Street, Te Puke;
- Waihi Beach Library & Service Centre, Waihi Beach Road, Waihi Beach;
You need to post your voting paper by Tuesday 8 October 2019 to make sure it reaches us on time.
If you miss this date, you can still vote by putting your envelope into one of our ballot boxes before noon on Saturday 12 October 2019.
You will need to cast a special vote if:
- you have not enrolled to vote by 16 August 2019 but you qualify as an elector
- you do not receive your voting papers
- your voting papers are damaged or spoiled.
For further information regarding this election, please contact the electoral office:
Dale Ofsoske, Electoral Officer
Western Bay of Plenty District Council
C/o PO Box 5135, Wellesley Street, Auckland 1141
Phone: 0800 922 822