Strategy and Policy Committee
Strategy and Policy Committee meetings are held every six weeks in our Council chambers at Barkes Corner, 1484 Cameron Road, Greerton, Tauranga. Please check the Meeting Calendar for confirmed meeting details. These meetings are livestreamed to Council's Youtube channel.
Please note; dates and times of scheduled meetings are subject to change and will be notified on the Meeting Calendar (link above) and also in the Public Notice section of the Bay of Plenty Times newspaper.
Agendas / Minutes
All meeting agendas and minutes are available to view or print on the Agenda and Minutes webpage.
For more information, please email the Governance Services Team or phone 0800 926 732.
|Chairperson:||Mayor James Denyer|
|Deputy Chairperson:||Cr Richard Crawford|
|Membership:||Cr Tracey Coxhead|
Cr Grant Dally
Cr Murray Grainger
Cr Anne Henry
Cr Rodney Joyce
Cr Margaret-Murray Benge
Deputy Mayor John Scrimgeour
Cr Allan Sole
Cr Don Thwaites
Cr Andy Wichers
- To develop and review strategies, policies, plans and bylaws to advance the strategic direction of Council and its communities.
- To ensure an integrated approach to land development (including land for housing), land use and transportation to enable, support and shape sustainable, vibrant and safe communities.
- To ensure there is sufficient and appropriate housing supply and choice in existing and new urban areas to meet current and future needs.
- Development and review of bylaws in accordance with legislation including determination of the nature and extent of community engagement approaches to be deployed.
- Development, review and approval of strategies and plans in accordance with legislation including determination of the nature and extent of community engagement approaches to be deployed.
- Subject to compliance with legislation and the Long Term Plan, to resolve all matters of strategic policy outside of the Long Term Plan process which does not require, under the Local Government Act 2002, a resolution of Council.
- Development of District Plan changes up to the point of public notification under the Resource Management Act 1991.
- Endorsement of the Future Development Strategy and sub-regional or regional spatial plans.
- Consider and approve changes to service delivery arrangements arising from service delivery reviews required under the Local Government Act 2002 (provided that where a service delivery proposal requires an amendment to the Long Term Plan, it shall thereafter be progressed by the Annual Plan and Long Term Plan Committee).
- Where un-budgeted financial implications arise from the development or review of policies, bylaws or plans, recommend to Council any changes or variations necessary to give effect to such policies, bylaws or plans.
- Listen to and receive the presentation of views by people and engage in spoken interaction in relation to any matters Council undertakes to consult on whether under the Local Government Act 2002 or any other Act.
- Oversee the development of strategies relating to sub-regional parks and sub-regional community facilities for the enhancement of community wellbeing of the Western Bay of Plenty District communities, for recommendation to Tauranga City Council and Western Bay of Plenty District Council.
- Approve Council submissions to central government, councils and other organisations, including submissions on proposed legislation, plan changes or policy statements.
Receive and make decisions and recommendations to Council and its Committees, as appropriate, on reports, recommendations and minutes of the following:
- SmartGrowth Leadership Group
- Regional Transport Committee
- Any other Joint Committee, Forum or Working Group, as directed by Council.
Receive and make decisions on, as appropriate, any matters of a policy or planning nature from the following:
- Waihī Beach, Katikati, Ōmokoroa, Te Puke and Maketu Community Boards.
- Community Committee.
Power to act:
- To make all decisions necessary to fulfil the role and scope of the Committee subject to the limitations imposed.
Power to recommend:
- To Council and/or any Committee as it deems appropriate.
Power to sub-delegate:
The Committee may delegate any of its functions, duties or powers to a subcommittee, working group or other subordinate decision-making body subject to the restrictions within its delegations and provided that any such sub-delegation includes a statement of purpose and specification of task.
Should there be insufficient time for Strategy and Policy Committee to consider approval for a final submission to an external body, the Chair has delegated authority to sign the submission on behalf of Council, provided that the final submission is reported to the next scheduled meeting of the Strategy and Policy Committee.