Te Puke is a thriving rural service town with a strong local economy and multicultural character. The name translates as 'The Hill’ which is reflective of its location near the Papamoa Hills.
Globally known as the Kiwifruit Capital of the World, the town is a vital service centre for the horticultural industry – kiwifruit/avocado and also for the farming sector.
The town prides itself on its multiculturalism and hard working people – many of whom are drawn to the town for the seasonal fruit growing industries and the service businesses that support the horticultural and farming industries.
Being close to the Tauranga Eastern Link is a key advantage for Te Puke and its adjacent eastern settlements. This four-lane state highway, opened in 2016, has resulted in increased opportunities in the area for residential subdivision and industrial/commercial expansion.
Amenities and services
- Te Puke Library and Council Service Centre
- Te Puke Memorial Hall
- Te Puke Memorial Swimming Pool
- Recycling Centre
- Housing for the elderly
- Te Puke Economic Development Agency works with Council to promote the commercial hub and general area as a destination town and thriving centre.
- Te Puke Events and Promotions Group: They work collaboratively alongside many community groups to organise events and promotions.
- Education: Secondary, primary, kohanga reo and early childhood are all catered for in Te Puke