Libraries

​There are four Library and Service Centres in the Western Bay district: Waihi Beach, Katikati, Omokoroa and Te Puke.

Together our libraries stock more than 88,000 items for borrowing, including books, DVDs, and audio books.

These libraries are extremely popular - and membership is free for all residents and ratepayers in our district and Tauranga City.

Each Service Centre also offers Council customer services. In addition, the Te Puke and Katikati libraries provide visitor information service.

A Brief History

1879

Katikati's first library was opened in the township's Court House next to the Police Station. It was set up by the early settlers with a voluntary management committee and 32 subscribers.

1914

The Katikati community raised 164 pounds, eleven shillings and sixpence - the sum required to build a new library in the Uretara Domain. Miss Majorie Hunter was appointed the first librarian.

1955

Te Puke's first library opened at the back of Bramble & Barrows Bookshop.

1955

When Katikati began to shift to its present site it was not possible to relocate the library building, so the library was given space in the newly built Memorial Hall.

1975

Te Puke Library re-opened in Cameron Street.

1987

A new Katikati Library was built jointly by Tauranga County, Katikati Riding and Community Council, Island View/Pios Shore and Athenree Community councils. This is the current library building in Main Street.

1987

Te Puke Library moved and re-opened in its current building.

1994

Waihi Beach's first library opened in the newly built Community Hall and was staffed by volunteers under Council staff supervision.

2005

Omokoroa's first library opened in the community shopping centre with 6000 items in stock.

​2013

​Te Puke Library is refurbished.

Page reviewed: 25 Aug 2015 10:17am