Council works with communities across the Western Bay to keep the district clean and green. Where we can we encourage residents and visitors to the Western Bay to reduce, reuse and recycle. In doing so our aim is to ensure that current and future generations benefit and enjoy the unique flora and fauna of the Western Bay.
For information on rubbish collection in your area, please contact your private rubbish provider. A listed is provided below.
Baywide Bins Limited
Baycomp Big Bags
Environmental Green Bins
JJ Richards & Sons
Katikati Bin Hire
Miniskips & Drum Ltd
Council operates recycling/greenwaste centres at Wills Road, Katikati and Steele Road, Athenree for Household Recycling ONLY.
Te Puke Recycling Centre
Normal operating hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays - 9 am to 3.30 pm and Saturdays - 9 am to 4 pm.
We also operate a Greenwaste Collection only site at 336 Omokoroa Rd, Omokoroa.
All centres are closed Christmas Day, New Years Day and Good Friday.
EFTPOS is available.
What you can take to your recycling centre
The centres will accept the following items free of charge for recycling:
- Flattened Cardboard
- Steel can
- Aluminium cans
- Glass bottles and jars - not broken window, drinking glass or ceramic (Note 3)
- Plastics (Notes 1 and 2)
- Printer cartridges
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Batteries - all kinds eg. vehicle and dry cell
- Scrap metal - ferrous and non-ferrous
- Used motor oil for a gold coin donation - Not Te Puke
- Household quantities of hazardous waste - See information below
1. Number 1 (soft drink bottles) and Number 2 (milk bottle) type plastics are accepted. Check the recycling symbol on the bottom.
2. Please remove lids and rinse containers.
3. Only glass bottles and jars that have contained a food or beverage are accepted.
4. These centres are NOT transfer stations.
5. All centres accept greenwaste.
6. The greenwaste facilities do not accept flax, pampas, bamboo, gorse or palms.
7. Greenwaste stem diameter must be no thicker than 100mm and the stem length no longer than 3 metres.
Fees for greenwaste
Hazardous Waste - Household Quantities (less than 30kg or litres)
Small quantities of identifiable household hazardous waste can be accepted at for disposal at the Katikati, Athenree and Te Puke Recycling Centres. All waste must be accompanied by a completed household hazardous waste declaration form. Please contact Council on 07 571 8008 to obtain a declaration form. Household hazardous waste can be delivered to the Site Manager at the Recycling Centre during normal opening hours.